Thursday, August 11, 2011

Olive Oil


I love olives. No, really. I love olives. I’ll be the first to jump out of my chair if somebody even offers me olives straight from the can. It’s no surprise then that I try to use olive oil whenever I can, not only because I like the taste, but also because it’s so unbelievably good for you!
True, olive oil is well…oil, and therefore high in fat, but don’t freak out just yet. The type of fat found in all kinds of olive oil is mainly monounsaturated fatty acids, which are actually really healthy for you! The fatty acids from the oils help make your skin glow and arteries suppler, and can help reduce the risk of heart disease. It can also lower the rate of absorption of edible fats and consequently slow down the aging process. Olive oil is additionally high in vitamins A, B-1, B-2, C, D, E and K and in iron.

However, keep in mind that even though olive oil is healthy, you shouldn’t go overboard because it’s still high in calories! Moderation is key!

No comments:

Post a Comment